Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:10:45 -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >> Ed has graciously agreed to restore the credits, and I thank Debian for
> >> its respect for the wishes of the original author in regards to
> >> prominently crediting those who have contributed.
> >
> > Again, what does Debian(as a community/organization) have to do with a
> > maintainer fixing a minor bug?
>
> Imagine you are the developer of some random piece of free software.  You
> don't necessarily use Debian; you certainly don't understand all its
> systems and protocols.
>
> The conventional way to get in touch with the developers of a free
> software project to raise an issue is to write to the -devel list.  It's
> not surprising that this is what people do with debian.

I think you missed the thrust of Adam's comment (and previous missives on
the same topic).  Hans is thanking "Debian" for an action, when the project
as a whole (the entity typically referred to by the name "Debian") has taken
no such action.

This flamewar might be a good reminder to everyone why it's a useful idea to
keep in good contact with your upstreams - that way, they can come and
pester you with problems instead of setting the whole project off into a
paroxym of "heated" messages (to say the least).

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16