Re: If Debian decides that the Gnu Free Doc License is not free then I will be honored to join Stallman and the FSF in the not free section of your distro

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 11:00, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > [...] could
> >apparently make its changes to the documentation of a GFDL-licensed
> >document near-proprietary by adding invariant sections and cover texts
> >that are unconscionable to the original author. [...]

(Note: I gave a specific example that involved insulting the original
author of the software)

> Why is this a problem? [...]

At least too me, it seems to defeat the purpose of copyleft. If I didn't
mind if the document was made such that I couldn't use the
modifications, I would license it under a much simpler, much more direct
license like the MIT X11 one. Or just disclaim copyright interest in it
(i.e., put it in the public domain).

If I were to use the GFDL, my choices would be to not be able to use the
changes (so much for copyleft) or start an invariant section war, where
I add an invariant rebuttal.