[Debian-Lex] Packages and helpers for Linux for lawyers sub-project

As you may have noticed, Debian-Lex, the nascent Debian-for-lawyers
sub-project, made DWN today, and I've had some expressions of interest
off-list from that.  We're still not officially launched yet though,
until the list people create a list for us, so debian-devel will remain
the point of contact until then.

I'm also cc'ing debian-users on this mail because I am sure there are
some non-developer lawyers who will be interested in getting involved,
and I'm bcc'ing about a dozen upstream maintainers of packages that are
proposed for inclusion in the project, but who might not want their
addresses on Usenet.  For these and others who came in late, our URL is
http://people.debian.org/~terminus/debian-lex (until we are official and
the Web people give us some proper space).

So for starters we're mainly interested in what DFSG free packages are
out there for lawyers, courts or legal administrators, that I don't
already know about, that we can look at packaging into Debian-Lex.  The
current list (including, however, a number of vaporware packages) is
found on the Web site.  It also includes a few non legal-specific
packages, but this needs to be fleshed out.

Of the packages that are not vaporware and not already in Debian, I
intend to package some of them myself, and I'm cc'ing the maintainers
who have ITP'd GnoTime and SQL-Ledger to see if they have any news on
their progress.  One thing I am not confident at is PHP, so it would be
good to have someone on board who can evaluate the PHP-based packages
for possible inclusion and to package them if they come up to scratch.

We are also interested in hearing about forms, templates, schemata, and
documentation in use by lawyers with free software that can be packaged
to support the main packages, and I already have a bundle of
OpenOffice.org templates for the Family Law courts in Australia to start
us off in this regard, and a set of SQL-Ledger accounts (including
scripts to import time data from GnoTime).

There are many other things to get going on but these are for starters.
Also, we need to start the ball rolling in order to convince the powers
that be to make us official. :-)  Volunteers to help?

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy@Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)