Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 06:19:28PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> Remember, the issue here isn't whether there's good reason to remove the
> Reiser message, but whether we're allowed to (apparently not) and
> whether not being allowed to do so is DFSG-free.  Even if we were happy
> with simply putting it back in, it still can't go in main if it's not free.

Are you sure about that? I didn't read all the messages in this thread,
but from the ones I read, I get the impression that Hans is not trying
to say that debian does something illegal. I read phrases like rude,
impolite, and ingrateful, but not illegal. He did talk about 'violation
of copyright' in his first mail, but reading his second mail, I'm quite
sure he doesn't really care about legal positions, but about fairness.

I think debian should respect the authors' wishes, even if we would be
allowed not to do so. This is not about DFSG-freeness, it's just nice
behaviour.

And of course, now that the topic is being discussed, it's of course ok
to ask Hans if the messages can be turned of under certain
circumstances, if that improves the usefulness of the software to the
users.

Jan