Re: GDM is ancient version

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 23:36, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
> Package: gdm
> Version: 2.2.5.5-2
>

> That version of gdm is fscking ancient! maintainer of that package
> really needs a clue. I got version 2.4.1.3-1woody1 with these apt-lines:
>
> deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/
> gnome2.2/
> deb http://mirror.raw.no/ gnome2.2/

The maintainer of gdm doesnt want to upload it till some key components
build on all archs.  Basically he doesnt want to leave certain
archs(which he uses) without a gdm.  Also I believe he is one of the FTP
masters, so no one can do an NMU(which they probably shouldnt be doing
in this situation anyway).  You can get gdm 2.4 compiled for sid from:

deb http://harshy.homelinux.org/files/debian/ ./
deb-src http://harshy.homelinux.org/files/debian/ ./

Check the debian-gtk-gnome list archives from earlier this year for a
full explanation on why gdm is the way it is.  You also might want to
email the maintainer of gdm and ask him _nicely_ to upload gdm 2.4, but
be prepared for him to say no(situation may have changed recently so it
doesnt hurt to ask).
--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>