Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:34:25PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> What if the full statment was shown once on installation, but not every
> time the program is used, would that be an acceptable compromise to you ?

Again: this is the least of the problems; more important is 1: what are
the real distribution terms? (Do we have legal permission to remove this?
Most guessing says no.) and then 2: are these terms DFSG-free?

It's not completely obvious whether requiring that a page of sponsorship
information being shown on installation is DFSG-free; recent discussions
on d-legal about GFDL invariant sections makes me guess no.  It'd be a bad
idea to recommend a "solution" that would itself be DFSG-unfree.

This aside, it's very clear to me that responding to Hans is a complete
waste of time.  He's trolling.  If he's just going to keep ranting aimlessly,
I'd say Debian can only assume we're in violation of whatever the license
is, that whatever the license is is undistributable, nuke the package
and point people to a clearly free alternative (possibly written by far
more reasonable folks), XFS.

--
Glenn Maynard