Re: old lib still needed

> I am curious, how are we (err, Debian) supposed to deal with old
> libraries? I have been using uvscan by NAI, and aside from its being
> non-free it unfortunately depends on libstdc++ 2.8, which was previously
> available through the package libstdc++2.8_2.90.29-2.deb. This doesn't
> seem to be available anywhere now, for which reason I am hanging on to
> my local copy.

It should be possible to obtain copies from previous releases,
like Debian 2.2, or 2.1.
As far as I know,
Debian 2.2 is available through normal mirrors still, and
Debian 2.1 is available at archive.debian.org.

It is difficult to maintain old copies since tools evolve, and
most old libraries now don't build from source on current Debian systems,
depending on some special behavior of old compilers, etc.

regards,
	junichi