Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:13:59PM +0200, Anders Widman wrote:
> >> all that was removed was *code* that gets compiled.  If the maintainer
> >> cannot arbitrarily change any code he wants, then it is not clear that
> >> the program is DFSG-free.
>
> > Amen. Making part of the code immutable is not what I call free
> > software. What if I want to use parts of the code and I respect the
> > copyright and license...does that mean I also have to take this part of
> > the code and output the credits? What if environment doesn't provide a
> > way to output the credits. What if I am implementing the reiser tools on
> > an embedded system that will never show any such output?
>
> > What about programs that execute the reiserfs tools (like bootup
> > scripts)...are they not allowed to redirect or filter this output?
>
> > If any of this is questionable, then I suspect reiserfs tools isn't DFSG
> > compliant and belongs in non-free with all it's flakiness.
>

>  Wow..  what  an  reaction  :).  Hans's  original message was that the
>  credits  were  not included with the distributed files, nothing else.
>  Or am I completely mistaken?

Sorry, I had read into some other peoples comments and made a bad
assumption about what this was refering to. So this is just about a file
that is in /usr/share/doc/...? If so, I can't see what all the fuss is
about. Just put the file back in.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/