Re: imlib-linked-with-libpng3

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:10:54PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> Why not simply make a imlib1p that conflicts with old imlib1 and rebuild
> the remaining 11 sources that still use imlib1 with old libpng2? There
> are fewer that would cause trouble in that batch, afaict only: chameleon,
> ebview, endeavour, pixelize, vertex.

> chameleon - dead upstream. (no website anymore)
> ebview    - no idea since its japanese.
> endeavour - might work with gtk2? upstream is alive.
> pixelize  - dead upstream. (last release 2000-01-17)
> vertex    - might work with gtk2? upstream is alive.

> kdegraphics requires being able to link to imlib with png3 to work due
> to png symbol collisions.

> Why aren't we working to get rid of libpng2 anyway, libpng3 isn't even
> current anymore.

png3 and png12-0 are supposed to be completely compatible; the choice of
one over the other is upstream insanity instigated by Red Hat.  So while
working to get rid of png2 is probably a good idea, forcing png3-using
packages to rebuild against png12-0 is not.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer