Re: imlib-linked-with-libpng3

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 08:43:45PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Imlib is more-or-less dormant upstream.  However, in late August, I
> was under the impression that upstream imlib was going to release a
> new version (with new SONAME) that would be linked with libpng3.  In

I forgot to comment on this part.  Its not upstreams place to deal with
what a particular user of the software decides to link stuff with. If
you break ABI that is no reason to mess with the ABI numbering which is
what SOVER's are for. This was already discussed to death in numerous
other threads the one that most readily comes to mind was the gcc c102
thread. In Debian's case if you break ABI you are supposed to add some
sort of differenation to the package name, such as imlib1foo and make
it conflict with the old version. From what I am able to tell, other
dists just rebuild against the current versions of libraries and don't
bother with renaming the packages themselves.

Chris