Re: [david@eelf.ddts.net: Re: why do we care about configuration files?]

>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:03:04 -0400,
>> David B Harris <david@eelf.ddts.net> said:

 > On Fri Apr 18, 06:37pm -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> If you use ucf like mechanisms, and you acpet the first debconf
 >> generated file, then you will never be asked to over write your
 >> file -- since the md5sum of the installed file shall match the
 >> previous maintainer version. Bingo, we cater to all these use
 >> cases at once.

 > Wouldn't that only be accurate if the postinst generated an
 > identical config file every time?

	Nope. When you accept a config file, your md5sum uis the same
 as the one generated *then*.  Next upgrade, if the postinst generated
 file is different, it shall replace yours again -- since your file
 will still match the stored md5sum.

	If i did not work this way, ucf would not be anywhere near as
 useful.

	manoj
--
... C++ offers even more flexible control over the visibility of
member objects and member functions.  Specifically, members may be