gperiodic internationalization (i18n) broken ?

Dear Kyle,

your package gperiodic had been integrated in two debian educational
distributions used here in France, debian-educ and freeduc-cd :
http://logiciels-libres-cndp.ac-versailles.fr/index.html
http://www.ofset.org/projects/edusoft/edusoft.html

However, the french localization (l10n) cannot be triggered.
There are two reasons for that, and a third for incomplete l10n :

1/ there is no mechanism for the 'po/Makefile.in' file to have 'prefix'
   defined to "/usr", even if we do "./configure --prefix=/usr" in order to
   build a debian package.
   There is an easy workaround to achieve i18n for the debian package, but
   the bug may be in the mechanism used to build Makefile.in from
   Makefile.in.in

   The consequence is that the xy.gmo files are copied into
   /usr/local/share/locale/xy/LC_MESSAGES directories unstead of
   /usr/share/locale/xy/LC_MESSAGES as they aught to.

2/ the correct locale is not set in the main program.
   when I added "setlocale (LC_ALL, "");" in gperiodic.c, line 496, the
   localizations began to work.

3/ the last version of gperiodic I fetched (at
   http://gperiodic.seul.org/downloads/) is not up to date concerning
   the french l10n, (I mailed a complete l10n in year 2001).

Please would you mind to get a recent patch for gperiodic, which adds :
- full i18n and french l10n support
- variable colors for the periodic table, in addition to the predefined
  colors, to indicate melting and evaporating simple chemicals when the
  temperature grows.

Best regards,			Georges.

P.S. : I get no more e-mail at the address khazuada@univ-littoral.fr,
please answer me at gekhajofour@netinfo.fr

--
Georges KHAZNADAR et Jocelyne FOURNIER
22 rue des mouettes, 59240 Dunkerque France.