Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 09:39, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> I've patched base-files, pam, shadow, util-linux, and sysvinit to use /run
> as the location for program state, and leave /etc for admin-created files.

Looks good!

> If no-one objects, I'll submit the
> patches to the package maintainers as wishlist bugs.

OK, let's assume that this idea has been discussed long enough
and that a convincing case has been made for removing from /etc
those files that need to be modified during the normal operation
of programs, and that some of these files will go under /run.

The first thing to do is modify programs so that they no longer
routinely modify files in /etc.

J.W. has dug into base-files, sysvinit, util-linux, pam,
and shadow to deal with
   /etc/mtab
   /etc/nologin

glibc's /etc/resolv.conf can be dealt with by setting the
nameserver to 127.0.0.1 and running a local nameserver.

Either named has to be modified so that one can change its
forwarders without changing /etc/named.conf[.options] or
another nameserver has to be used.

The following programs were also mentioned as candidates for
revision:
   ppp   (Stop it futzing with /etc/resolv.conf)
   sendmail
   hotplug
   "various daemon start scripts"

Files that have been cited as needing removal from /etc:
   /etc/adjtime
   /etc/leapsecs.dat
   /etc/ioctl.save

I'll update ifupdown's #84074 to make it a request to move
   /etc/network/ifstate
under /run

This reminds me.  Should we take this opportunity to put the
files like mtab in subdirectories?  E.g., /etc/mount/mtab.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>