Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 10:51, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> The problem are state (and thus non-configuration) files
> in a place where they do not belong to making it impossible
> to mount /etc readonly.

If I understand correctly, your two issues are:
(1) that state files are not configuration files and
so do not belong under /etc; (2) the presence of state
files in /etc/makes it impossible to mount /etc readonly.

1. On what grounds to you assert that state files don't
"belong" under /etc?  You quote the FHS:

> /etc contains configuration files and directories that
> are specific to the current system.  [FHS 3.4]

The proposed /etc/run is a directory specific to the
current system, so it seems to meet the stated criterion.

I think you are drawing a distinction between "configuration"
and "state" files that is sharper than intended by the FHS
(... otherwise mtab wouldn't be in there), and also
sharper than can easily be drawn in practice.  E.g., is
resolv.conf a configuration file or a state file?

The reason for moving the files in question is not that
they aren't configuration files.  The reason for moving
them is that they need to be written at run time,
whereas some people would like /etc to be on a read-only
filesystem.

2. The writability issue is taken care of by moving the
state files under a subdirectory of /etc which can be
used as the mount point for a rw filesystem if /etc is
on a ro filesystem.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>