Re: Introducing Alioth: SourceForge for Debian

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 06:34:54PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:05:05AM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > I see it was mentioned that cvs.debian.org will likely be (or maybe
> > technically already has been) depreciated in favor of Alioth. I wonder if
> > this is the case with the debian BTS?
>
> Not to my knowledge, and I think it would be a bad idea. I agree that
> the SourceForge-style one should probably be disabled.

Actually, I can see some uses for it:

1) Unless I'm mistaken, not everything on Alioth is required to be in a
Debian package? (Granted, probably 99% of it will be, but some of it may,
in fact, be too experimental to put even into experimental, yet, or may not
be suitable to packaging, but still be valuble to Debian).

2) You can't do things like "assign bug <X> to the task list for developer
<Y>" - so, unless/until the BTS does support this (which, as I believe
has been noted before, would require 'accounts', for one thing), there
*is* value to it for any multi-maintainer project that wants to try to
coordinate bug resolution like this.

For bonus points, option #2 might be even more useful with some way to
hook the BTS to Alioth for a specific package (similar to, oh, how the PTS
currently lets you subscribe) such that certain bug changes in the BTS
could be automagically reflected in the Alioth bug list.

I do agree that Alioth might should have a big 'this is not the primary
place to report most bugs' slapped across it somewhere. Or even disallow
public bugfiling on it, and limit it only to folks with accounts.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>