Re: [desktop] enabling gnome-session reboot and halt options on logout

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:18:39AM -0500, christophe barbe wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:34:29PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > A bit more blue-sky: have an ACL on /bin/halt and /bin/reboot that only
> > allows specific users to execute it.  Then the dialog would offer the
> > options iff the user had execute permission.

> I have zero experience with ACL. Is it available with all kernels? Or do
> we need a recent one or a patched one?

You need a filesystem that supports ACLs.  This is still not the default
in Debian.

Personally, I think trying to set execution ACLs on system binaries is a
bad idea.  Better to provide an suid wrapper binary that does whatever
authorization checks are deemed appropriate (perhaps using PAM).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer