Re: Some proposals

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, tony mancill wrote:

> FWIW, I like all the ideas of "freshening" releases and a central source
> repository, but wanted to comment on the proposal to stop releasing
> altogether.  There are a fair number of us out here who are sysadmins by
> day

As was I and probably will be at some point again.

> and count on Debian "stable" to keep our wits (and to look good in
> comparison to our non-Debian peers).  For example, I manage change in
> production environment by using stable + security + a very limited set of
> backports (only when they are absolutely required, and then every box gets
> them).

Then under this proposal you and like-minded people would form a release
team to prepare a distro subset.  I suspect sysadminian would include e.g.
postfix but not e.g. pornget.

> So I see those "service packs" as great tool for keeping desktop users
> more current, but still see the need for formal releases.

But why should the release of sysadminian be tied to the release
of desktopian or industrialplantian?  Noah made an excellent point (IMO)
of how Debian is trying to be all things to all people and failing.

> Without them,
> the archive is always in flux and it's impossible to get a snapshot where
> everything works, and (at least for the most part), works together.  This
> is important for production shops.  Without it, you're taking away the
> advantage of a widespread testing, essentially shifting the burden of
> integration testing onto each site.

But don't you go ahead and test it anyway?  Even if it does have that
stable stamp on it?  I know I did.

> Put another way, in a production shop, I need to be able to build multiple
> boxes that are precisely identical, perhaps several months apart.  If
> there is no Debian stable, then I end up "freezing" my local mirror at
> some point in time and performing that testing I mention above in-house.

Which sounds more sensible than relying on an external entity.

> The lack of a formal release also makes it difficult to talk about
> supporting Debian with other admins at other sites.

sysadminian doesn't have to be a one-man job.

> All that being said, perhaps "server Debian" should become a flavor...

I guess that was basically what I was suggesting with this.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>