Re: testing, unstable, and dependencies

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 07:36:46PM -0600, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> I really like using the Debian distro except for one thing.  (No, I'm not
> going to say the installation.;-) )  It would be nice if select packages
> could be installed from testing or unstable onto a system running stable

Typically most packages in unstable can be recompiled for stable.

Even for the occasional program (eg. gramps) that has a large number of
dependancies on programs in unstable, it stills (surprisingly) seems to
work fine on unstable (I modified the dependancies). I have only seen
one package so far that won't easily compile for stable (ironically my
package, fpm).

I believe a number of users have archives available for different
selections of packages compiled for stable, my one uses the following
apt-get sources.list entry:

deb http://www.micrcomaustralia.com.au/debian/ woody main selinux acl

I do not know what packages you are interested in, so I cannot say how
applicable these will be for your needs.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>