Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

Hi .. ;)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:11:01PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>>>0 halt
>>>1 single user mode
>>>2 multiuser with no network services exported
>>>3 normal/full multiuser
>>>4 reserved for local use, default is normal/full multiuser
>>>5 multiuser with xdm or equivalent
>>>6 reboot
>> Which runlevel would be default?
> If we go that way definitely runlevel 5 for it is just like what we
>have currently: Everything enabled.
>> How would 5 behave if no xdm or equivalent installed?
> How would you expect it to behave?  If it's not installed it can't be
>run.  The rest that is installed behaves just like it should behave in
>5 anyway, that is e.g. with less virtual consoles.  I am not sure if I
>grok your question really....

*agree*

I do not know, how SuSE/Redhat/UnitedLinux/others deals with it, but I
would define the runlevel like above and if the program is not
installed, it would not start by switching to the runlevel it should
run.

		Jan

--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **       ,.. ,..