Re: question regarding prelinking (was: (inc. note from dpkg developers) (was:Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking))

I demand that Hamish Moffatt may or may not have written...

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:27:57AM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
[snip]
>> Seems that thing that really makes startups SLOW is swapping. During
>> relocation, a shared library page should be changed (by writing new
>> addresses), so this page is unshared (a personal copy of this page for the
>> current process is created), and if there is currently no free physical
>> page, it causes swapping. And swapping IS slow even on modern hardware.

> But RAM is cheap, so why would you be swapping?

Oh good. Then I should be able to get a 128MB square-array non-EDO SIMM
(which will fit in this Risc PC) for around the same price as a 128MB PC133
DIMM (which won't)...

--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| Debian woody, | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   Let's keep the pound sterling

You will forget that you ever knew me.