Re: Bloat: XML, GUI design (was: Re: [OT] Gnome configuration (was: Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]))

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 06:52, Emile van Bergen wrote:

> I doubt that having a sort of Apache mod_rewrite for font specs instead
> of URLs is all that helpful.

It's not anywhere close to as insane as mod_rewrite, and people use do
it.

> Of all the comments on that concept here, I've only heard people say, "I
> don't know how it works exactly", "I'm no expert", "I'm sure the idioms
> haven't been fully worked out".

Um, I personally said the latter two, and...

> And these are developers, for crying out loud.

I'm no fontconfig developer.  I just packaged the thing because no one
more qualified stepped up (and if someone is out there who is willing to
maintain fontconfig and knows a lot about X, fonts, and hopefully
defoma, please say so!).

> Do you really expect
> GUI users to be able to use the feature in order to unify the look of
> legacy applications into some theme? Come on.

Of course not.  Modifying ~/.fonts.conf is for expert users.  Many of
the common cases will be handled by desktop environment configurators
like in the upcoming GNOME 2.2:

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.1/