Re: udev and /sys mounting [was: mounting tmpfs (and sysfs) defaultly in sarge?]

Hi Marco and all others!

On 2003-12-14  3:01 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 13, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>
>  >I would propose to handle this similarily to the devpts
>  >filesystem i.e. by a init-script instead of cluttering fstab.
> Agreed. This also solves the problem of ugly messages at boot when
> booting a 2.4 kernel.

I agree, too.

> udev (and given time many other programs) needs sysfs mounted, so we
> should decide if it will be handled by devpts.sh or by a similar script
> in a different package.
> Currently the udev init script[1] mounts it by itself, but I'd like to
> remove this code and assume that something else already did it.

IMHO it does not really belong to devpts, libsysfs seems to be a more
appropriate place. Of course I don't insist of it, it's just a matter
of style...

Marco, do you plan to use the dynamic library of libsysfs for udev? If
so, you have to depend on libsysfs0 anyway and the /sys problem is
solved. If you want to keep linking the static library for some reason
then there may be a different solution. What do you think?

Have a nice day!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org