Re: Why you are wrong [Was: On linux kernel packaging issue]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:24:35PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:08:48PM -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > > Of course, I'm far from a compiler and chip design expert (or even
> > > novice); this is what I remember from my classes last year. :) But it
> > > shows how complicated optimizing compilers can get, and why you can't
> > > say any optimization is always good/safe/faster/etc. The only truly safe
> > > way to tell is extensive, controlled benchmarking.
> >
> > An optimisation that makes things unsafe or slower isn't an
> > optimisation. The compiler shouldn't produce any code that is incorrect
> > or slower. Of course, it can't stop you from taking a P4-optimised
> > binary and running it on an Athlon.
> >
> > I think you could say that any optimisation is safe and not slower;
> > otherwise it's not an optimisation.
>
> Mmm. -ffast-math and -funsafe-math-optimizations, off the top of my
> head.

or -fstrict-aliasing, which won't work with waaay too much code out there,
including (from warnings I see) a lot of kernel-level stuff, such as alsa.

I must remember to start filing bugs everywhere I see those warnings. Ugh.

  Henrique Holschuh