Re: Snort: Mass Bug Closing

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:59:06AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > Before you object to this rather 'rude' bughandling, please keep in
> > mind that version 1.8.4 of snort, which is in stable, has 3 severe
> > security exploits,
>
> So, why hasn't a security update been released for it?

Largely this is because snort should simply be removed from stable
completely, as it is not useful, even if the security exploits are
fixed.

Snort depends on a set of rules to detect potentially malicious traffic.
Obviously this set of rules needs to be updates on a regular basis in
order to keep up with new security issues.  The problem is that the
version of snort in stable is old enough that the upstream maintainers
are no longer releasing new rulesets for it.  Thus, it can't detect
potentially harmful traffic.

A person responsible for the security of a system or network of systems
needs to know if attacks on current vulnerabilities are being made on
his system at least as bad as he needs to know that two year old
vulnerabilities are being probed.  snort 1.8.4 cannot report such
activity, and can only lead to a false sense of security.  Thus,
trusting an old version of snort is more dangerous than not using it at
all, IMHO.

In the case of tools like snort, I strongly believe that we either need
to remove it from stable or permit new upstream versions to be released
for stable with point releases.

noah