Re: Translations sleeping in the BTS (was: Re: non-DD contributors and the debian keyring)

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:55:51AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org) wrote:
> > We'll start with french translations. Not a lot of them are sleeping,
> > because we already pissed off some maintainers, or even did some NMU's
> > (yes, for wishlist bugs...).

> I feel this is utter bullshit, personally.  One shouldn't be NMU'ing for
> wishlist bugs.  If the package isn't maintained then hijack it instead.
> If you don't have time to do that then there's no way in hell you should
> be NMU'ing it anyway.  If no one is willing to maintain it then it
> should be removed, or maybe changed to be maintained by the QA team.

The decision to NMU should be based on a combination of the severity and
age of the bug and the *non-intrusiveness* of the fix, not just on the
first two factors.  When you weigh the benefits of translation NMUs
against the risks, it's clear that such NMUs are a safer bet than many
NMUs for severity: important bugs that require code changes.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer