Re: May packages rm -rf subdirectories of /etc/ ?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 07:06:17AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> If not, what do think of this?  When is it OK for a package to
> "rm -rf /etc/foo/" on purge?

Personally I like this behaviour.

It means if I purge package foo, I can be sure that there are no
leftover *.swp, *.bak, or any other files that shouldn't exist left
over.

If I purge a package, I would expect all related files get deleted,
including ones I created. If I want to keep some of these files, either
I won't purge the package, or I will copy the files first.

Of course, there is the issue if a removed package shares a config file
with a installed package (purging the removed package will break the
installed package), but simply removing "rm -rf" won't help that.

Then this isn't my ideal solution either, ideally I think dpkg should
track all files belonging to a package, including directories that can't
get removed during remove and purge operations (because they contain user
files for instance).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>