Re: texmf.cnf again

Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 04:21, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>>  As it is right now you are presented this question not once but _three_
>>  times.  In the way the text is worded it makes it sound as if it was of
>>  uttermost importance to answer "yes" yet it hints that some users might
>>  want to answer "no".  The default answer?  "No".  That makes no sense
>>  whatsoever.

> Well, the answer must be no.  We have been over this before.
> The discussion that started this change began here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01145.html

> And here, I gave a sincere try to explain in simple terms why such
> questions cannot default to yes:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01227.html
[...]

Add the fact that in this case both alternatives are flawed,
because "no" breaks:
| typical computer user: does not modify texmf by hand and just
| presses <Enter> when he sees a question which he is to lazy to
| read.

| does not modify texmf by hand and has set frontend=noninteractive

which leaves two solutions
* Try to minimize breakage by choosing a default. Results may vary
  depending on whether you think breaking one unix guru's sytem is
  more important than ten newbies. ;-)
* Don't ask the question. Proposed solutions are ucf and
  <[🔎] E19OvQK-0004MW-Sg@mid.downhill.at.eu.org>. Another possibility might
  be to simply move /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf to /var if it is not supposed
  to be edited.
               cu andreas