Re: Accepted bwidget 1.6.0-1 (all source)

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:15:37PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
>> 1. To show others, especially NM's, what not to do.  NM's mostly learn
>>    by example, and I think it helps to ensure they don't follow bad
>>    examples.
>
>> 2. It's something that should be obvious.  Producing poor quality
>>    changelogs shows a real neglect for the quality of Debian overall,
>>    and they deserve to be publicly reprimanded.
>
> "Obvious" is a key word indicating that you need to check your
> assumptions at the door.  While I will certainly concede that changelogs
> that spell out the nature of relevant upstream changes are more useful
> than those which do not, the only argument extended that persuades me
> it's worth extra effort on my part is that it impacts the work of our
> long-suffering Security Team.  It disappoints me that anyone would
> consider this such a serious offense that it justifies prolonged
> flogging on a public mailing list.
>
> While using the changelog to close bugs without explaining what was done
> or to close bugs that were not fixed by the upload in question should
> not be tolerated,

That was the case in this thread.

> you're getting upset about bug closings that absolutely *do* include a
> description of what the maintainer changed in order to fix them:
> incorporating a "new upstream release".  That this is too succinct for
> some applications does not make it "changelog abuse".

I'll concede this point, though I still think we should encourage
maintainers to spell out upstream fixes in the changelog.

> Nor, BTW, is it changelog abuse to have forgotten to close a fixed bug
> in the changelog: your hard-line stance invites maintainers to simply
> close *all* bugs manually after upload, which makes the changelog a
> much less useful tool on many levels.

Hmm, I don't understand.  Every bug that has been fixed should be closed
in the changelog when possible.  If a maintainer forgets, then close it
manually with a note mentioning in which version it was fixed.  When did
I say otherwise?

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.