Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:27:17PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> I'm glad you agree that, even if we don't go the /run/ route,
> all variable files in /etc/ should be relocatable.  (By 'relocate'
> I mean: replace with a symlink to a new location.)  Several
> variable files in /etc/ are not currently relocatable, including
> mtab (See #53829 et al.) and resolv.conf (See #187810).
> Fortunately, ifstate is already relocatable.

This assumes that all programs that touch a particular file (for
example /etc/resolv.conf) are under your control --- that is, they are
part of Debian.  If some particular program is part of a third-party
shell script which is distributed by an ISP, or part of some binary
program which (example: AT&T Managed Tunnel Services), then by moving
/etc/resolv.conf to some other directory and leaving a symlink behind,
you may potentially be breaking these programs.

And, no you may not call it a bug in those programs or shell scripts,
because you don't get to dictate how software outside of Debian (but
which a Debian user might want to use) is written.

						- Ted