Re: Bug in apt-get ? [replace essential package / Yes, do as I say]

In article <[🔎] 20030426161241.GA2271@azure.humbug.org.au>,
Anthony Towns  <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:12:00AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> Sysvinit was split up in sysvinit, initscripts and sysv-rc. The last
>> one can be replaced by file-rc. Sysv-rc and file-rc conflict and
>> replace one another.
>
>Hrm. Any possibility of making sysv-rc and file-rc be concurrently
>installable, via alternatives or somethign similar? That's the way mawk
>and gawk work, which is a similar situation.

Well, that is perhaps possible, but 'there can be ony one'. If file-rc
is the way the system runs, and you change the alternatives links
to the update-rc.d/invoke-rc.d/rc/RCs of sysv-rc, you made your
system unable to boot (or shutdown). Having them both installed
is dangerous.

Besides, I think that what apt is doing is against policy. Policy
says that an essential package /can/ be replaced. Apt refuses
to do that (but dpkg does it just fine). So I though that perhaps
there is something that I'm overlooking. Ideas ?

Perhaps I should just dive into the apt source code and fix it,
but it has been years ago since I touched C++ ..

Mike.