Re: [debian-openldap] Re: TLS support in openldap-2.0.x vs 2.1.x

* Torsten Landschoff (torsten@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:36:13AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > > some support for TLS connections, but slapd accepts connection
> > > even if client's cert. cannot be verified by ca's cert. Versions
> > > 2.1.x works correctly from this point of view with the same configuration
> > > which was tested on openldap-2.0.27 from Sid branch.
> >
> > That's correct, that was a change in the openldap source code itself I
> > believe.  The Debian OpenLDAP 2.1 packages will also verify by default
> > (though I beleive there's an option in 2.1 to turn it off).
>
> Hmm, interesting. The documentation of slapd in 2.1 states this:
>
>   TLSVerifyClient <level>
>         Specifies what checks to perform on client  certificates  in  an
>         incoming  TLS  session, if any.  The <level> can be specified as
>         one of the following keywords:
>
>         never  This is the default.  slapd will not ask the client for a
>   	     certificate.
>
>   [...]
>
> I have not really used TLS with OpenLDAP for that though. Up to now the
> encryption was all I wanted...

Sorry, I think you're right, I was thinking from the opposite end: the
client will verify the server's cert by default for using TLS.  The
client does not need to have a cert of its own by default.  Previously
(2.0) the client did not attempt to verify the server's cert, from my
understanding.

	Stephen