Re: mICQ roundup

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:46, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:
> The URLs you provided are interesting indeed, however they all speak of
> Dataloss, of destroying Data etc.

The first one only referred to stopping production, the implication was that
the software had ceased functioning.

Here's a URL that has a more general discussion of the legal issues.  Consider
in particular the publishing issue which could apply here if the time bomb
had made it onto Debian CDs.
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.09/09.10/TimeBomb/

> I would compare the functionality of Ruedigers "timebomb" as you say
> more with Software which expires after a certain amount of time. This is
> as you might know a quite usual behaviour in the commercial
> Softwareworld.

Such software is documented as doing so.  We are not talking about shareware
here, we are talking about software that has a hidden time-bomb.

> I further object against any accusations that Ruediger will ever
> implement harmful or datalosing code intentional.

Why wouldn't he?  He has not expressed any plans to avoid doing it again or
any remorse for it.