Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:48:03AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Timothy Ball <timball@tux.org> wrote:
>  > Now the brokeness of the mICQ pkg could and *should* have been
>  > found by the maintainer *way* before this ever became an issue. It
>  > should have been worked out by the maintainer and the upstream
>  > author. The sheer fact that it has become an issue shows negligence
>  > of the debian maintainer.
>
> 	Well, yes and no. No single person can test all code paths
>  in, say, emacs, or all kernel config options, or all parts of
>  Gnus. Test as best you can, release early, release often.
>
> 	All One can really ask a maintainer is that the auses opckage is
>  installable, and they ran the apckage through a test
>  suite. Exhaustive testing is not something that can be reasonably
>  expected of the maintainers (or even the authors).

Hey I can expect the maintainer to at least try to install his own deb
and run the program. I'm not saying every pkg should be unit tested...
okay maybe I am saying that each pkg should be unit tested, but in the
least can chapter 7. of the DNMG have more than just ten sentences?

--timball

--
	GPG key available on pgpkeys.mit.edu
pub  1024D/511FBD54 2001-07-23 Timothy Lu Hu Ball <timball@tux.org>