Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

On 31-Jan-03, 09:07 (CST), David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:
> I discover that my laptop fails to boot if pcmcia-cs starts at boot
> time.  I want to debug further, but still have something mostly
> functional.  So I delete /etc/rc3.d/S20pcmcia, and add an option in
> GRUB to have my system boot without PCMCIA support at runlevel 3.
>
> It seems like having multiple runlevels, or some other scheme to be
> able to selectively disable services from the boot prompt, is
> essential in whatever init scheme we wind up with.

Uh, isn't that exactly what you did? Do you think that your
problem/solution would actually be met by any likely default scheme
(runlevel 47a.3b2: "everthing except pcmcia")? Lars', and my, and many
other people's point is that Debian *does* support various runlevels,
but that admins who actually use them are going to customize them
anyway, and thus the best default is the simplest.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net