Re: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> i am confused about links and files in lib packages. lintian reports
> the following error on one of the packages i am sponsoring:
>
>   W: libvformat1: non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink
>      usr/lib/libvformat.so.0.0.0 usr/lib/libvformat.so
>
> the libvformat1_... package includes
>
>   ./usr/lib/libvformat.so.0.0.0
>   ./usr/lib/libvformat.so.0 -> libvformat.so.0.0.0
>   ./usr/lib/libvformat.so -> libvformat.so.0.0.0

> and the -dev package includes just the .a file.
>
> I don't know what is right when it comes to libraries, and i can't
> find a good documentation on it. would anyone enlighten me?

The /usr/lib/libvformat.so symlink should go in the -dev package.
It's only needed when linking binaries with the package, i.e. is only
for development use.  It also prevents multiple copies of the library
being installed simultaneously.

See Debian Policy, Chapter 9, paragraphs 2-5.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers