Re: gcc 3.2 not faster

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:00, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:38:04PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> >I thought that gcc 3.2 was supposed to be faster, however I have just done
> >some benchmarks to show the opposite:
> >
> >GCC 2.95:
> >Version 1.93b          write   read putcNT getcNT   putc   getc  putcU
> > getcU lyta                     437    559   9052   9478   1694   1734
> > 24757  48029
> >
> >GCC 3.2:
> >Version 1.93b          write   read putcNT getcNT   putc   getc  putcU
> > getcU 441    568   7955   8573   1617   1698  18731  28544
>
> It's helpful when posting benchmarks to give some indication of what the
> numbers represent. Is it operations per time? Or elapsed seconds? Or
> bogomips?

Thousands of operations per second.

The "default" for reporting any benchmark results is that bigger numbers are
better.

The relevant fact here is not the absolute numbers, but the fact that GCC 3.2
produces code that is slower.

I wonder what will happen when libc6 is compiled with GCC 3.2...  For
getc/putc operations what happens in the libc6 is more complex than what
happens in the application.  If the same performance hit occurs when
compiling libc6 then things will really suck, and I'll probably get CC'd on
some more amusing flame-wars.