Re: gcc 3.2 transition clarification

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:37:54AM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    Could someone clarify the process by which sid will be rebuilt with
> gcc 3.2? I understand that now gcc-defaults has changed and gcc 3.2 is
> the default compiler. However it is unclear if the process of
> rebuilding sid in bulk will be carried out in sid itself or done
> separately and bulk uploaded into sid.

I don't see why bulk uploads are necessary; it should be OK for
maintainers of C++ packages to do it themselves (thus allowing them to
test the results) and for the autobuilders to pick things up as they
arrive. Anything not uploaded after some reasonable period of time can
be NMUed.

Non-C++ packages can just be rebuilt over time. I'm sure anything that's
vaguely actively maintained will see at least one upload between now and
the release of sarge, and if they don't then chances are it doesn't
matter; it doesn't hold anything back if some non-C++ packages still
have versions built with older compilers, unless they're triggering
internal compiler errors or something.

> I ask because currently it seems that things are randomly getting
> built in sid without any bulk uploads yet.

Sounds to me like the natural way for things to happen in Debian. We
have package maintainers who do things (we hope).

Cheers,