Re: Digital video recording software

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 08:28:25PM -0800, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> Any Debian developers out there interested in digital video
> recording? I just bought a TV capture card, so I'm just getting
> started with the topic. I'm using xawtv to watch TV, and now I'm
> interested in setting up my PC to record TV shows at preset times,
> like a VCR. What app do you use for this purpose? Is it packaged?

I'm in the same situation as you. "streamer" has the same functionality as
xawtv's record feature, then there's mencoder and avidemux. I also tried
kino, but couldn't get it to do anything useful because it couldn't read
any of the formats I can record in.

What I'd like to do with my machine:

  - record full-resolution TV. Possible with "streamer" (without dropped
    frames if you do it right!), except that rgb15 format eats 1.3 GB per
    minute. There's a nice fast GPLd lossless compression codec called
    "huffyuv", but apparently there's no way to use it for encoding under
    Linux. Hopefully mencoder will be able to use it at some point.

  - Watch TV while recording. Apparently, this is impossible at full
    resolution because the PCI bus is too slow to transmit the data twice,
    but just a small preview window would be enough. I haven't found any
    app which can do that, though...

  - Cut out the commercials, remove black borders, deinterlace.
    avidemux looks OK for that, except I think it can't read huffyuv.

  - Encode to fit 700MB, or 2x700MB in two separate files. Possible with
    avidemux.

Everything gets much easier if you only record at half of the TV
resolution, for example you can watch while recording, or use a more
processor-intensive encoder.

Cheers,

  Richard

--