Re: /etc/passwd doesnt contain all users

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 02:08:40PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Yes, that makes sense.  Though now that I think about it, there is really
> very little reason to check for the existence of a user at all.  Most
> packages should be using adduser, which will do the right thing if the user
> already exists.

adduser, at least the woody version, is incredibly verbose
if the user already exists.

Redirecting stderr to /dev/null would seem to be a bad thing
to do, if something goes wrong I want to know what it is.

Nor do I want to ignore error codes returned by adduser
(I can't remember if trying to add a user that already
exists returns an error or not, but I think it did).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>