Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:33:19AM -0500, Matthew McGuire <gray@shadowglade.net> was heard to say:
> >   I didn't mention this, but one long-term idea I wrote down for the
> > applet was to check whether any of the updates were security updates,
> > and only do the flashing/whatever in that case.  Unfortunately, I don't
> > think this is possible -- you could check whether the source for the
> > update is security.d.o, but that's probably not sufficient.
> >

> Whenever I run and apt-get update it only grabs the package files that
> have been updated. (The Hit or Get thing in it I think.) If there is a
> way to get a list of what was updated, you could then search for 'security'
> in the URL of the files grabbed.

  That's easy to do -- it's just that I'm not sure all security updates
are sent to security.d.o.  Of course, for testing/unstable there's no
reliable way to get this information anyway, but are security updates for
stable guaranteed to appear in the security archives?  (I'm
wondering if they're ever pushed into stable directly)

  Also, if someone has mirrored security, that won't work.  Checking the URL
would probably be enough for the common case, though.

  I agree with Emile's comments about a dialog box -- that would just be
Evil[tm].

  Daniel

|               I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.                |
\-- Does your computer have Super Cow Powers? ------- http://www.debian.org --/