Re: location of UnicodeData.txt

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 12:20:26PM -0500, Jim Penny wrote:
> > So, can a standard be DSFG free?
>
> Strictly speaking, no.  A standard is an idea, or a collection of ideas.
> There are many ways to express an idea, so there are many ways to
> express a standard.  Some of these expressions may receive copyright
> protection.

The correct question, I think, is "Can a standards _document_ be DFSG
free?" I think it could be, but most probably are not; a standards
document is usually copyrighted by the organization that governs the
standard, and in the absence of an explicit grant of the right to make
derivative works, such a document would not be DFSG free (to the best of
my understanding).

Craig