Re: Pre-linux Windows program - was Re: bill gates Linux

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:24:56PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 07:08:17PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:31:11AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > > Why make it a separate program that runs under Windows?  Why not mount
> > > the Windows partition from the Linux installer, and read the registry
> > > from there?
>
> > Because it's easier for Windows to read its own registry and write a
> > portable ASCII file than it is for Linux, as you'd have to implement a
> > 'fs' driver for it. Not that I think this is all necessarily a good idea
> > though.
>
> Actually, I would find it significantly easier to borrow code from Wine
> to do registry parsing and run a tool against a Windows partition
> mounted read-only to extract the information we need, than I would to
> write a Windows application to do roughly the same thing.

Hum, yes, but that probably says more about

1. the excellent capabilities of the Wine team
2. lack of ability and willingness to write windows code on your part

than the elegance of the solution - IMHO.

> > Before you know, people will go back to Windows to change their IP
> > address in Linux because they don't know how to do it there.
>
> Well, since debconf is not a registry, that would be a little difficult,
> wouldn't it?

Well, I was thinking about horrible scenarios like, "you know, I
installed this Linux thing, and it used my network settings from Windows
fine, but now I can't find out how to change it, so I figured I could
change the settings in Windows and then reinstall Linux, so I did."

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info