Re: debconf template translations from ddtp

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 05:11:26PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Bramer wrote:
> > The ddtp will produce also po-debconf files in future. I must only write
> > some scripts for it...
>
> I did something like:
>
> for lang in cs da de es fr hu it ja nl pl pt_BR ru ; do wget http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/base-config/templates-$lang; done
> rename 's/-/./' templates-*
> debconf-gettextize templates

nice... if some one use debconf-po-files.

> I don't want to use the result for base-config though. The generated po
> files reference only the downloaded templates file, while base-config
> uses three seperate templates files which should be referenced prperly
> by the po files. And I have no tools to tell which of the translations
> on this site are more up-to-date than the ones in debconf.

I see the problem.

I am not sure, but can you make something like:

for $file in ddtp-po.*
do
  cat $file >> po/template.po
done

after your sripte. Gettext should handel this...

Maybe 'msgmerge' can help. If I understand it in the right way, you can
use this to merge two po-files...

> And of course base-config is in debian cvs where anyone can check in a
> translation, in the po-debconf form that I prefer. So all this close to
> a step backwards for base-config, maybe not so for everything else
> though.

maybe for base-config. But 'all' the other packages don't use
cvs.debian.org, don't use translated debconf templates, don't support
changes in search some translators etc.

Maybe some of the base-config template translators can use this
translations in the ddtp and can update your po files per hand...

Gruss
Grisu

FYI: only 800 debconf templates and we have all debconf templates from
     sid translated into german :-)
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Wissensdurst ist die fluessige Form von Bildungshunger"