Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:58:28AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:55:34AM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > The key issue here is that the mail isn't blocked.  It's simply held in
> > another place until confirmed.  It doesn't become a "false positive" until it
> > is deleted without being read.
>
> It depends how you define the SPAM checking process.
>
> If you define the SPAM checking process as "an automatic process which
> classifies mail as either SPAM or non SPAM", then your statement is
> incorrect, it is a false postive as soon as it has been automatically
> classified in the wrong group.

Not really, because the class of programs we're talking about don't make a
distinction between spam and non-spam, they only make a distinction between
confirmed and unconfirmed messages from unknown addresses.

> However, you seem to be defining the SPAM checking process as "a series
> of automatic and manual processes that automatically delete all SPAM
> and nothing else from your mail folder".
>
> Which is interesting, the first definition doesn't take into account the
> human reading the mail, the second does.
>
> However, as far as I am concerned, my ideal (as unrealistic as it may
> be) is not to have to look at SPAM at all, which means that I use the
> first definition.

But to be sure you're not getting any false positives, you cruise through
your "spam" mailbox every now and then, right?

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>