Re: Fwd: Please confirm your message

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:58:48PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:39, Jan Niehusmann wrote:

> > Time will tell. I fear that some day, the only way to use email
> > productively is to block all email with invalid sender adresses. And I

> If an auto-responder can handle such messages then spammers will just
> use such auto-responders and therefore the spam filter will be almost
> useless.

You are missing the point: That scheme doesn't directly block spam, it
only assures that a mail has a valid Reply-To:-address. Which may (or
may not) stop spam. Time will tell.

> Also there's the issue of two people having such filters trying to
> communicate with each other.

Of course such programs need careful design to prevent loops.

I don't say this is the only solution, I don't even claim it solves the
spam problem at all. But I think it's a sensible experiment. After all,
it may work.

Jan