Re: Debian Accessibility Project was: Re: linux for blinds

    AT> To make it clear: I'm not in fear of a separate distribution.
    AT> Everybody is free to do so.  But in my opinion you could reach
    AT> your goal more straightforeward if you do not.

I'd like to clarify a confusion introduced by me (my fault).  Actually
we don't intend to make a separate distribution, but rather a
specialized non-standard installation process.  Once the system gets
installed, it won't differ from a standard Debian system, using several
packages from testing/unstable and several non-Debian packages
(i.e. packages not worth to be included in Debian in the given moment).

    AT> I see no reason to go separate ways and join later.  Why not do
    AT> it inside Debian?

The reason is our resources are very limited and making what we need
inside Debian implies more general solution, i.e. more work.  Exceeding
the resources would mean failure of the project.

We try to find a minimum-work solution, the minimum step, even if it may
require more work in the future.

I can remember there were some discussions on Debian mailing lists about
making something like debian-blind quite long time ago.  But AFAIK
nothing actually happened till now.  So I guess there's no critical
potential to utilize the Debian resources for *this particular task*,
until some initial steps are done.  I might be wrong, but we can see a
manageable solution of our problem now and we prefer it against a
potentially better, but quite *risky* way of reaching what we
desperately need.

    AT> But I think enhancing debian-installer in the current state is
    AT> the best idea to reach the goal.

I'll certainly look at debian-installer, it might be the right tool to
help us.  Just FYI, we basically need to *clone* a running Debian system
to target computers, while making a few necessary customizations, like
changing the network and hardware setup of the target machine.  tar + a
few shell scripts look like the simplest way to do that, but
debian-installer might possibly help us especially with the booting
process and hardware autodetection.

    AT> Good luck for you project

Thanks and thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Todays marketing hype top-list report:
http://www.google.com/search?q=attract+best+build+business+component+deploy+embed+feature+framework+free+highest+industry+integration+ISV+Java+manage+most+MVC+.NET+newsletter+OEM+performance+platform+portable+rapid+ready+scalable+secure+SOAP+solution+special+support+technology+Web+XML