Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@quickfur.yi.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:02:26PM +0100, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> [snip]
>>   And when you're really bored, you compile something from scratch, it's
>> not like it's impossible just because you don't kneed to...
> [snip]

> And Debian makes this really easy too: apt-get source xxx ; ./configure
> --own-preferred-options ; dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m$self ; su -c
> 'dpkg --install xxx.deb'. Ahh, where would we be without apt. :-)

This won't work.

The next time you run apt it'll see that the md5sum of the installed
xxx does not match the md5sum of the package available via
sources.list and it'll reinstall the official package.

Either set this package on hold or increment the version in
debian/changelog a *little* bit (append 0.0.1).
             cu andreas