On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:59:39PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> non-free software is exactly the issue at hand.  If non-free software does
> not allow us to do things like modify and autobuild it, which are necessary
> in order to fix bugs, then how do we fix bugs in a non-free package?  We
> don't, because we can't.  The GR would change this situation for the subset
> of non-free which we can partially support.
>
> For the record, this prospect (of being somewhat less able to support software
> which is inherently crippled in terms of Debian's ability to support it)
> does not bother me in the least.

Well, if a lot of people share your feelings about non-free, perhaps you
should propose an amended version of the GR to John where we just dump
the stuff we don't have permission to modify and build on other
architectures, so that we can fix bugs in it.

(Proposing it to John is the best thing to do procedurally so that he at
least has the chance to consider your amendment.  If he rejects the
amendment but you can pick up enough seconds for your version, your
amendment would appear on the list of ballot options.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       kernel panic -- causal failure