Re: [desktop] Seeking Summit to Discuss X Display and Session Management

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 02:53:22PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  Hmm...  looking at the bug and the proposed patch, Osamu's problem
>  seems to be that he wants to make a session-manager-less session the
>  default on the system (that is, REALSTARTUP ends up being
>  x-window-manager _even_ if x-session-manager exists).  Sounds a lot
>  like local configuration policy being forced upon every Debian
>  installation.

Well, tell it to Eduard Bloch, who also wants every Debian system in the
world to work the way his does.

I'm tired of the sniping, so I want to work with other package
maintainers to come up with a consensus so that the irrational personal
attacks will be revealed for what they are.

>  I am probably to blame for this.  Back when I was maintaining wdm I
>  remember there was some silly thing regarding the list of window
>  managers in the window manager selection box which was implemented by
>  some hack in a copy of the default Xsession script.  Since then
>  Xsession has been split in lots of little tiny bits (and that's A Good
>  Thing(TM)).  I don't know what wdm is doing nowadays, but if it isn't
>  using the default Xsession script for some reason, the problem should
>  be fixed.

Well, hopefully the current wdm maintainer is reading this.

>  Just name an OPN channel and a date, and I'll see if I can make it
>  there.  My network connection nowadays sucks, but I can try...

There was a time when it didn't suck?  :)  I fondly recall the endless
ping timeouts from m2.  :)

Let's see what other folks say.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a growing closer.  It beats the