Applications Analyst

Thursday, October 31, 2002
2102 Sloan Street #2
Manhattan, KS 66502-4753

GARMIN International Inc.
1200 E. 151st Street
Olathe, KS 66062

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing in regards to the Applications Analyst position listed on
your web site.  Allow me to introduce myself. I am a May 2002 graduate
from Kansas State University with a bachelor of science in computer
science.

As you may have noticed, I have extensive experience with multiple
operating systems such as Linux, UNIX, Windows, and Macintosh.
Additionally, my experience and knowledge of various programming
languages will be beneficial to your department.  Moreover, the
experience gained from administering my own dual-boot Debian/GNU
Linux-Windows 2000 system can also be quite advantageous. I also have
great experience in customer service.

Thus, I am strongly confident that I can perform the work effectively. I
thank you for allowing me to write to you today.  I am genuinely excited
about discussing this position and other possibilities with your
department. Feel free to contact me via the e-mail address, or by the
telephone numbers listed in the enclosed resume.

Sincerely yours,

Derek J Witt.

Enclosure.

Objective
=========
To work for a computer-related business in the area of software engineering.

Education
=========
Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas:  Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, May 2002.

Barton County Community College, Great Bend, Kansas:  Associate of Science  in Computer Science, May 1995.

Experience
==========
Independent Computer Consultant: May 1992 - current.
Installed mainly Personal Computer hardware and software for clients on a voluntary basis.

Western Wireless Corporation; Manhattan, Kansas: June 2002 - current.
Customer Care Representative
Assisting wireless customers and sales representatives with billing, and cellular feature issues.

Sykes Enterprises, Inc., Manhattan, Kansas:  September 1998 -December 2001.
Customer Service Technician
Answered  telephones for Sykes's clients and providing support for said clients.

Sykes Enterprises, Inc., Manhattan, Kansas: March 1999 -May 1999.
Quality Assurance Monitor
Recorded and logged other technicians' telephone calls.

Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Kansas State University,
Manhattan, Kansas:  August 1998 - May 1999.
C++ Programmer
Debugged, maintained, and upgraded Field Information Systems (Geographical Information Systems geared
specifically toward agricultural fields) software written in Borland C++ 5.02.

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University,
Manhattan, Kansas:  February 1998 -July 1998.
Computer Assistant for Grain Marketing and Production Research Center.
Set up PC computer systems, troubleshooted PC hardware and software, partial networking
support, and instructed on use of software.

Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Kansas State University,
Manhattan, Kansas:  June 1997 - February 1998.
Student worker for Instrumentation Laboratory
Data Processing, Data Collection, and Software Engineering of flour dough mixing tests for Grain Marketing and Production Research Center.

United States Department of Agriculture, Manhattan, Kansas: December 1996 - June 1997.
Office Automation Clerk
Maintained personnel files, maintaining department manuals, assisted in payroll, assisted with department
procurement, sorted incoming and outgoing mail for the building, and routed incoming telephone calls.

Honors, Awards, and Associations
================================
United States Scholastic Academy Award in Computer Science:  February 1995.

Business Professionals of America: September 1993 - May 1995:

Computer Skills and Knowledge
=============================
Operating Systems Usage/Installation
------------------------------------
Caldera OpenDOS 7.02
DR-DOS 5.0
Linux 2.0 -2.4: Slackware 3.0, RedHat 5.2, Debian 2.1 - 3.0
MacOS/System 7.0 ? 10.0
PC/MS-DOS 2.1 - 6.22
SunSoft SPARC Solaris 2.4 - 2.6
Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT Workstation 4.0, 2000, XP Professional

Software Usage/Installation
---------------------------
Aldus Pagemaker 4.0 - 6.0
Corel WordPerfect 5.0 - 8.0